Music at Pinehurst
At Pinehurst, we offer a wide range of instrumental tuition, voice lessons, music group mentoring and several performance opportunities for our students.
Solo and Ensemble Concerts will be held this year in which our talented students can opt to participate.
The concerts take place in the school theatre, from 3:30-4:30pm, unless otherwise specified. Dates for 2024 have yet to be confirmed.
Students will be asked to audition via video for these concerts. Invitations to register will be included in the school newsletter, closer to the performance date.
Our Ensemble Concert at the beginning of Term 3 (date to be confirmed) is designed to be a performance platform for our College students in preparation for their performance at the KBB Music Festival. Top senior Music students may be given additional solo performance opportunities at events throughout the year.
We will also hold our first annual Piano Competition in 2024. This will be open to all students in the school who are at Grade 6 level or above. The choice of the performance piece is open and chosen by the students. Students will be asked to submit a performance video as part of the registration process. More information will follow closer to the time of the competition.
Instrumental Itinerant Lessons
Apart from our full-time staff who are looking after your child’s musical education inside and outside of the classroom, fifteen part-time instrumental specialists offer individual tuition before, during and after school for the following instruments:
- Acoustic Double Bass
- Classical Acoustic Guitar
- Contemporary (Pop) Acoustic and Electric Guitar
- Bass Guitar
For more information on our itinerant music teachers and our Itinerant Music Programme (including our Terms and Conditions), please click here.
With the support of the board, Pinehurst School is pleased to offer a Brass Bursary to any student who would like to learn/ or continue developing their performing skills on a brass instrument, by taking itinerant lessons at the school and committing to participate in a music co-curricular group at Pinehurst. For more information about the Brass Bursary including how to apply, please click here.
Co-Curricular Music Groups
A vast range of music co-curricular groups are also available during lunchtimes, after school or evenings throughout the week. Students can sign up to perform within a group setting and will receive mentoring by a specialist. There will be costs associated with some of these co-curricular music groups. Selected groups will participate and perform at annual festivals and competitions, such as the KBB Music Festival and the NZ Chamber Music Competition.
- Primary Choir (Year 2-3)
- Primary Choir (Year 4-6)
- Year 5 and 6 Primary Orchestra (An auditioned group for Year 5-6 students who play an orchestral instrument and can read notation)
- Year 5 Marimba Group
- Year 4 Woodwind Ensemble
- Suzuki Violin Group (New Entrant-Year 8)
- Primary Rock Band
- Junior College Rock Bands (Year 7-8)
- Senior College Rock Bands (Year 9-13)
- College Choir (Year 7-13)
- College Orchestra (Open to students who have played an orchestral instrument for a minimum of 2 years and can read notation)
- Jazz Band (Years 7–13 Open to students who play brass, saxophone, piano, bass, guitar, or drums and can read notation)
- Chamber Music Groups (New Entrant-Year 13, by audition)
- Classical Guitar Ensemble (open to any students who can play at Grade 1-4 level of difficulty)
- Harp Ensemble
- Annual School Musical (Year 7-13) Auditions held in Term 1
For more information about our Co-curricular Music Groups Programme, including our Code of Conduct, click here.