Music at Pinehurst
At Pinehurst, we offer a wide range of instrumental tuition, voice lessons, music group mentoring and several performance opportunities for our students.
Solo and Ensemble Concerts will be held this year in which our talented students can opt to participate.
Junior School Concerts are designed to showcase the best of our Junior Primary, Senior Primary, and Junior College. The concerts take place in the school theatre, from 3.30-4.30pm, unless otherwise specified. Dates for 2023 have yet to be confirmed.
- Senior Primary Music Concert
- Junior Primary Music Concert
Students can audition to participate in these concerts. Invitations to register will be included in the school newsletter, closer to the performance date.
Ensemble Concerts are designed to be a performance platform for the many performance groups at Pinehurst School. Primary, College and combined concerts with students from Years 1-13 are invited to perform in these concerts if they have contributed to the groups throughout the year. Top senior Music students may also be given solo performance opportunities at these events..
There are usually two to three of these concerts every year which are held in the theatre from 6pm. Dates for 2023 have yet to be confirmed.
Invitations to register will be included in the school newsletter, closer to the due date indicated.
Instrumental Itinerant Lessons
Apart from our full-time staff who are looking after your child’s musical education inside and outside of the classroom, fifteen part-time instrumental specialists offer individual tuition before, during and after school for the following instruments:
- Acoustic Double Bass
- Classical Acoustic Guitar
- Contemporary (Pop) Acoustic and Electric Guitar
- Bass Guitar
With the support of the board, Pinehurst School is pleased to offer a Brass Bursary to any student who would like to learn/ or continue developing their performing skills on a brass instrument, by taking itinerant lessons at the school and committing to participate in a music co-curricular group at Pinehurst. For more information about the Brass Bursary including how to apply, please click here.
For more information about our Itinerant Music Programme, including our Terms and Conditions, please click here.
Co-Curricular Music Groups
A great range of music co-curricular groups are also available during lunchtimes, after school or evenings throughout the week. Students can sign up to perform within a group setting and will receive mentoring by a specialist. Participation in these groups is free but a certain code of conduct and commitment is expected. Some of these groups will go on to participate and perform at annual festivals and competitions, such as the KBB Music Festival and the NZ Chamber Music Competition.
- Primary Choir (Year 1 - 6)
- Year 5 & 6 Primary Orchestra (An auditioned group for Year 5-6 students who play an orchestral instrument and can read notation)
- Year 5 Marimba Group
• Year 4 Woodwind Ensemble
• Suzuki Violin Group (New Entrant - Year 8)
• Primary Rock Band
• Junior College Rock Bands (Year 7 & 8)
• Senior College Rock Bands (Year 9 - 13)
• College Choir (Year 7 - 13)
• College Orchestra (Open to students who have played an orchestral instrument for a minimum of 2 years and can read notation)
• Jazz Band (Years 7 – 13 Open to students who play brass, saxophone, piano, bass, guitar, or drums and can read notation)
• Chamber Music Groups (New Entrant - Year 13, by audition)
• Classical Guitar Ensemble (open to any students who can play at Grade 1 - 4 level of difficulty)
• Harp Ensemble
• Annual School Musical (Year 7-13) Auditions held in Term 1
TO APPLY FOR A LESSON OR GROUP PLEASE SUBMIT THE ONLINE FORM BELOW: