NOTICE TO ALL USERS
Read the following legal agreement before using the Pinehurst network. By using this network you indicate your assent and agreement to these terms. Your use and access to this network is subject to the following terms and conditions ("terms"). If you do not agree to every term and condition of this agreement please disconnect from and or do not use this network.
I understand that:
- Any other communication technology equipment and storage media (Including privately owned equipment) that I use within the school environment and connect to the school network or devices owned by the school, such as mobile phones, flashcards and memory sticks, will be used in accordance with the school regulations and the school reserves the right to check at any time data sent or stored on these devices.
- The school reserves the right to check at any time, work or data related to communication technologies in the school environment. Users should not expect that files stored on servers or disks will always be private. This includes personal email messages which are stored and recorded on the school servers.
- I need to respect the need for privacy and security and I will not reveal home addresses or phone numbers, mine or anyone else’s, in cyberspace and I will immediately report any cybersafety problems to the network administrator.
- I am entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of my own password and account. Furthermore, I am entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under my account. I agree to notify the Network administrator immediately of any unauthorised use of my account or any other breach of security.
- Use of the Internet and other communication technologies is limited to educational usage and professional development appropriate in the school environment (including a small amount of personal use by staff that does not interfere with performance). Inappropriate use of the internet and other communication technologies is strictly prohibited. Such use includes transmitting, accessing, downloading, uploading, sharing, storing or purposely viewing sexual, pornographic, obscene, discriminatory, abusive, copyright infringing, defamatory, or other material which in Pinehurst’s sole opinion is illegal, offensive or otherwise inappropriate in a school environment.
System operators will have access to all user accounts. The actions of all users on the network will be monitored and recorded. This includes the use by management, teachers, technicians and those using the system outside school hours. Any potential infringement of these terms will be reported to the Executive Principal.
Some actions could constitute criminal misconduct necessitating the involvement of law enforcement. When applicable, police or local authorities may be involved.
The following is not permitted
- Damaging computer equipment, the computer systems, the computer network or furniture. Users will use the resources with due care.
- Violating copyright laws or breaching copyright by downloading, distributing or copying text, graphics, computer programs, sounds (e.g. music) or other copyright works. In particular
- Users will not plagiarise by illegally copying text without referencing the source.
- Users will not upload, or otherwise make available, files that contain images, photographs, software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, including, by way of example, and not as limitation, copyright or trademark laws (or by rights of privacy or publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consent to do the same.
- Users will not use any material or information, including images or photographs, which are made available through the Services in any manner that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary right of any party.
- Users will not download any file posted by another user of a Communication Service that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally reproduced, displayed, performed, and/or distributed in such manner.
- The unauthorised accessing of other users' data and the unauthorised destruction of or unauthorised interference with other users' data.
- Using others' passwords or logging in under someone else’s name. You may not use anyone else's account at any time, with or without the permission of the account holder.
- The unauthorised accessing the systems' data and the destruction or interference with the systems' data and by doing so disrupting the running of any computer or the school’s network by changing the users, systems (including the BIOS) and communications settings in the Operating System.
- Loading files or programs on the network or uploading files that contain viruses, corrupted files, worms, Trojan horses, or other software or programs with similar effects that may damage, delay, or disrupt the operation of another's computer, computer network, or other related equipment, or distributing information regarding the creation or use of viruses, worms, Trojan horses, pinging, mailbombing or denial-of-service attacks.
- All files from external sources are treated as being infected with a computer virus.
- Executing, storing or uploading Zip files (*.zip), Com files (*.com) and executable files (*.exe) is strictly prohibited unless approved by the ICT technician and/ or network administrator.
- Bringing software from an external source or uploading software from the Internet or any other source to use on a Pinehurst computer unless approved by the ICT technician and/ or network administrator.
- Storing, displaying, scanning or sending offensive messages, sounds or graphics.
- Defaming, abusing, harassing, stalking, threatening or otherwise violating the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
- Advertising or offering to sell or buy any goods or services for any business purpose, unless Pinehurst specifically allows such messages.
- Using this Network for the purposes of spamming (i.e. distribution of unsolicited and unauthorized advertisements or other commercial materials);
- Violating any laws or regulations.
- Creating a false identity or impersonating someone else for the purpose of misleading others
- Purposefully or recklessly posting, publishing, or otherwise making available on the Web site or over the network incorrect or inaccurate information.
- Breaking or attempting to crack or break any file protection, security setting or other network protocol.
- Accessing or attempting to access any material for which the user knows they do not have authorisation.
Pinehurst will view seriously involvement in any incident in which the internet or communication technologies are used in breach of these terms. For staff or contractors this may result in serious misconduct resulting in immediate dismissal. For students this may result in suspension or expulsion.